Monday, July 23, 2012

It's in the bag

Over the weekend I decided to pull out a craft activity I have tucked away in a file. As I read (imagine having time for that) through magazines I tear out craft ideas, vacation ideas, tips, etc and file them in a binder. Ok, so there really is no binder. Rather, they are "filed" in a pile in our guest bedroom on top of the computer desk but that's the best I can do right now.

So, since it was hot, I thought making homemade ice cream was a good idea.
This is not the homemade ice cream that you make in some machine. Oh no. This is ice cream in a bag. It was simple, inexpensive, and the kids had fun!

The recipe calls for 2Tbsp sugar, 1/2tsp vanilla, 1c half and half - sealed in a quart size freezer bag. Then you take a gallon size freezer bag, put in 1/2c salt and fill bag halfway with ice. Put smaller bag inside larger bag, seal up, and shake. For 5 minutes.
That was the best part. The kids ran around the house shaking the bag, throwing it on the floor, and dancing to the shaking. I, of course, had to take over shaking for a while, because even though 5 minutes is not really that long, it is incredibly long when you are holding a freezing cold bag and your hands are little. 

The end result was a serving of soft serve vanilla ice cream which was really tasty.



No comments: