Thursday, January 29, 2009

Cooking with Twins

It's been five months since the bugs were born and my and J's eating habits have completely gone down the tubes. I used to eat so healthfully before (and even during) my pregnancy. Now I'm lucky if I can shove a half of a sandwich and a few chips in my mouth, and wash it down with a Pepsi or coffee, before it's back to caring for the two little monsters in our house. The ones who want our COMPLETE attention - every minute they are awake.
J's been having some issues with his blood sugar control - a lot probably having to do with his stress level and also his erratic eating habits, and I feel awful since I don't think I've eaten a fruit or vegetable in weeks. I feel constantly dehydrated because I don't take the time to drink water either.

I decided the other day that it's got to stop. We need to at least try to be healthy for our children's sake. We're already starting out older than most parents.
But how does one find time to cook a meal, and sit down to eat with multiples?? If you have suggestions please let me know because I am finding this absolutely impossible! Then I had a thought...Crock pot cooking.

So, for those of you out there with multiples (or just one child, or no children but way too many life obligations) who are in the same boat as I am with finding a free minute to cook or eat I thought I'd share this little part of life at our house.
I've scoured the Internet for Crock pot recipes. Found a bunch! One great site is crockpot365.blogspot.com This woman made a different Crock pot recipe every.day.last.year, which I found very impressive. I borrowed books from friends and copied Crock pot recipes. And, I think I'm starting out with a good base of recipes to choose from. Throw in the occasional 30-minute meal, pizza night, and leftovers, and our menu should be planned for the next month.

I started out slowly this week with just one recipe. I'll get into the full swing of things in February with 10 Crock pot meals.
Here's the other night's dinner - which J and I both LOVED! Neither of us have had it since we were kids and the smell and taste brought back warm cozy feelings. Plus it was cold outside and a big warm bowl of soup is a fabulous cure for cold weather. The best part was I threw everything in the Crock pot while the bugs took their morning nap, turned it on, and after putting them to bed that night J and I came back downstairs to the kitchen to a dinner waiting for us, which left us a few extra minutes of being able to sit down and relax for the night.
Please leave me a comment or email if you try and like any of these recipes, or if you have any suggestions of your own for recipes too!

Cabbage and Kielbasa Soup

4c chicken broth,
1 medium head cabbage, chopped,
2 medium onions, chopped,
1lb kielbasa, sliced,1 28oz can crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in Crock pot. Cook on low for 8-9 hours.


** On another note...I promise more pics of the growing bugs as soon as I can find where the heck I put our camera. I'm sure it's somewhere among the piles of laundry, dishes, and toys...it's been MIA for about a week now.



No comments: