Monday, April 16, 2012

Labeled: Fragile

I got a call today about a friend who has been ill recently. She’s both my co-worker and my friend. She is someone who is intelligent, loyal, and funny. She is kind and thoughtful. And, this girl can keep a secret. When I found out I was pregnant, she is the only one I told, outside of my immediate family. She was my confidant at work and helped me through my first trimester, having another miscarriage fears, without telling another soul. For a whole 14 weeks. She has brought me food when I’m having a family crisis, has been a great listening ear and sounding board, and has numerous times offered her help in whatever way she can to me- a single, stressed out Mom.


My friend was recently diagnosed with Stage 3 Ovarian cancer. This morning they told her that the cancer has aggressively spread, despite surgery and a futile attempt at chemotherapy (which only served to make her nauseous and unable to do anything). There is some sort of blockage now due to the cancer and she’s now unable to eat except through a tube they will put into her stomach today.

They are sending her home in the next few days. They don’t believe there is any long term solution. They are offering her palliative care.

She is 46 years old and has a 6 year old son.

I am scared for my friend. I am scared for her partner. I am scared for her little boy – who will be so affected by this. It sickens me to think of what he will go through.

The fragility of life scares the shit out of me.

No comments: